fall

fall

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day 1 on Anti-Inflammatory/Paleo Diet


I have been gluten free for six years and that has helped a lot with inflammation, IBS and endometriosis.  However I still do have some issues with some foods.  

I am not fond of diets.   The word "diet" for me is obsessing on weight loss, being hungry and deprivation and I want none of it.  

I have been reading about Paleo diet and inflammation  for a while and wanted to try it but the hard rules kind of turned me off.   I am not willing to go completely grain free.  Since I have been dealing with inflammation for a while I kind of have some idea on what food makes me ill.  

I don't drink soda or alcohol.  I also gradually gave up oatmeal, corn and beans over the past few months.   I had some beans/corn the other day because they were noting cooked in the house and I was feeling lazy.  I have been paying for that mistake over the last few days. 

So here are the foods that I already avoid: gluten, corn, beans, chickpeas, lentils, oatmeal

The foods I know I need to avoid based on my reaction after I consume it: diary, sugar, sometimes coffee but I think it is due to the cream and not coffee it self.  But it does disturbs my sleep sometimes but I am not willing to part with coffee :). 

Being Ethiopian lunch and dinner often involves injera made of teff grain.      This is the one thing I am not willing to give up.  I also haven't noticed any reaction to teff when it is fermented.    I also am not willing to part with rice right now but will try to eat less of it.

So the foods that I will give up in addition to the ones I already avoid: sugar, diary

I am allowing myself a teaspoon of honey with my morning tea. Since I avoid most foods that I have issues with this diet will focus on consuming more vegetables and fish.   I will also focus on more soups and easily digestible meals.   

Today's breakfast: a cup of acorn squash soup, a small avocado with lemon and green tea with honey. 

This weekend I will spend time planning all meals.   Wish me luck. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, good luck! I only barely survived my elimination diet, but it was so worth it!!! Glad it's over, but even more glad to know what is safe for me to eat so I'm not quite as sick all of the time. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete