fall

fall

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Love of Coffee

I just put down toddler for a nap.   Yep, at 5:30pm, we have been having issues with sleep but that is all our fault for not having her on a consistent schedule.  Any how that is for another day of blogging. 

So I am sitting here and decided to have a cup of coffee (small cup) even though I know it is going to disturb my sleep. 

Coffee has so much meaning in our culture.  It is a social event and it brings so many memories of home.   Although I love the traditional Ethiopian ceremony I was never a coffee drinker (ceremony picture below).   But this was not by choice, I avoided coffee for the longest time due to heart palpation I had since high school and was told that coffee would aggravate it.  So I become a tea drinker.   I would only drink coffee when I visited family over the weekends but never consumed on a daily bases.  The smell of coffee is addictive enough that at work I was adamant not to give in to all the flavored coffee.  That lasted for years but they I got pregnant with toddler in 2011 and it all changed.   I so craved coffee that even before my lunch I would day dream about the half a cup of coffee I allowed my self during my pregnancy.   Since I couldn't have gluten, coffee was the one thing I could indulge in.    Since then I haven't been able to give it up.   On days I wake up in the middle of the night due to caffeine I vowed to myself that it would be the last time I drank coffee but then morning comes and everything changes.  



It was not too difficult for me to give up gluten but coffee is a different beast.    I also sometimes would feel guilty that my one cup a day might be contributing to my infertility.    But I only drink one cup a day after lunch and on occasion I would drink in the morning if my mom is around.   Coffee has become a symbol for all the glutinous treats I can't have so to heck with fertility, heart palpitation and sleeplessness.  I am just not ready to give up my one cup of coffee.   After all I am from the birth place of coffee :).  

1 comment:

  1. LOL. That sounds like how I am about chocolate. :) I can't live without it... or at least if I have to live without it, then someone else might die... mainly anyone who irritates me. If you do decide to go off of it, my friend just introduced me to a little drink that's supposed to help with cravings and headaches. It's called "dandy blend"... don't know how it stacks up against real coffee (as I've never tasted it), but it's probably nowhere near as good. :) Still pretty good, and when I get a headache from soy, it does help me get rid of it. Meh. Just if you ever want to... but if you're happy with it, then go for it girl! Whatever makes all this crap a little easier. :)

    ReplyDelete