fall

fall

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A day in the life of a chronically ill mother


I woke up around 3am with IBS symptom, pain and sweaty hands and feet.   I lay there for a minute assessing the situation;  experience has thought me that it is better to get up and move about, get a glass of water and lay flat on our living room floor to stretch out my back and to relieve some of the pain.

After I calm down, I sit on our sofa and start reading stuff on the internet.   An hour later the pain has subsided a bit and my belly has calmed a bit so I decide to go back to sleep.   So I slowly go up the stairs trying not to wake up my little girl and husband.  No matter how quite I am DH is a light sleeper and always wakes up.  He opens his eyes looks at me and goes right back to sleep.  I curl up against toddler (she sleeps with us) and I drift off.  

The alarm set for 7:30 am.  I hear it and I jump and shut it off.    Usually I just let it go on so it wakes up toddler.  Since I lost an hour I needed to sleep in.    When we finally wake up it is 9 am, I have the same pain but with less intensity.   For a minute my mind goes to a place I don't want it to be, Oh GOD please don't let me die; not good, not good at all and overly dramatic.   I wake up toddler and we cuddle for a bit before washing up and heading downstairs.    I note that I have a stress headache and I am also more anxious than usual.  I brush it off and go about my business.  I make fried egg, toast with peanut butter and apple slices for toddler MH breakfast.

I take my thyroid med and start cleaning up the living room.   The house it too quite.  I rarely remember to put on music but I needed something to occupy my mind away from the pain.  I go through our old cd collection and put on a boys II men CD.  Haven't heard their music in ages.

I haven't mopped my floor for a week.  Hard wood floor is forgiving but I just couldn't let it be today, I have put it off for the last three days.   I sweep and mop the floor and I feel better for at least accomplishing something.   The dishwasher needs to be emptied but I put it off for later.  I make myself omelet for breakfast with leftover baked potatoes from the night before. I make tea, print some work sheets for toddler to scribble on.    I have her sit on her high chair.  We are on letter F.  F for frog, F for foot etc.  She draws and I am happy that she actually now colors the letters instead of just scribbling aimlessly all over the paper.    This occupies her for some time and I am a happy camper and read some blogs, news and check my e-mail.   I was reading a blog post by 'Peace of Christ' and enjoyed her blog post chronicling her day so I decided I would do the same so the reason for this post.

Toddler had enough with drawing so we go out on our deck and it actually feels good.  Not too cold and the sun is finally out.  I crank up the music and start dancing with toddler.  I am one of those people who like to dance in private :).  She loves it, but she loves it more when I hold her and we dance.  My back is not up to that task especially after mopping so I distract her and we play with a pile of leaves on our deck.    I was wondering where my Mom and Dad were, they said they were coming but didn't say the time.  I am actually excited to have company, it is also an early day for DH so he will be coming home at 5.    Tuesdays are nice.

My mom and dad finally show up and they said they already had lunch and all they want is coffee.  Toddler is happy to see her grandparents and my dad is overly excited to see her.  He says "give me my medicine" and she runs to put her hands on his forehead and rub it:).  They play this game every time he sees her.   I start on lunch for toddler and I.   I give her a slice of cheese followed by pasta with no sauce and a banana.  For lunch I have left over chicken, cucumber salad, beets & potatoes that my mom brought.   A small glass of coffee after lunch always puts a smile on my face.  I empty the dishwasher and clean up after lunch. 

My dad leaves and mom is staying the night to help cook for a get together my father has planned with his friends which I agreed to host on Sunday.    I give toddler milk before her nap.  After she finish she gets up and runs around, she doesn't want to nap since we woke up 1.5h later than our usual time.  DH calls and says he is on his way home.  It is now 4:30 pm and he shows up a little earlier than expected.   Stir fry beef with tomato salad served on injera is usually on the menu for Tuesdays.  DH picks up the beef and injera after work.   He decided to head to the gym while I struggle to put toddler to nap.  She is upset over something but she is just tired.   I lay with her on our sofa and she finally drifts off.    I quickly cook dinner which took me about an hour and we head out to the grocery store with my mom to get stuffy for the party while DH eats dinner and toddler naps.    We decide to go to Shoppers since I have $10 coupon.  I love these coupons.

For dinner I warm up some left over veggies and pasta for mom since she is on a fast (no meat).    I make a cheese & chicken sandwich for toddler.   I struggle with her to finish her dinner.  We eat dinner followed by ginger tea with honey.    Toddler is watching TV.   DH is preparing an exam he has to give on Thursday.    We talk more with my mom while I pack up DH's lunch and clean the kitchen.   We decide to call my sister just to check on her even though it is late.  She is going through an ugly divorce.  She has the kids every other week until permanent custody is decided next month.   It is a sad situation. 

My mom goes to bed and DH has finally finished his work so I sit with him and we watch TV for a bit while toddler plays.   Since toddler had a late nap she is not up to sleeping but we call it a night and go upstairs.   DH and toddler read in bed while I take a hot shower, massage my lower back and get ready for bed.    I think I pass out before toddler :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment