fall

fall

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thyroid and other tests


I had an appointment with my Dr., I have made her as my primary even though she doesn't take insurance.  I have been going to her since 2010.   Any how the last time I saw her was in Nov. of last year.  At the time she suggested that I follow up after 3 month and I just disappeared.   Besides the slow release T3 I wasn't taking any of the supplements that she had suggested so I didn't see the point of seeing her ever three months.   Since I haven't noticed any difference in how I feel based on the T3 I wasn't going to spend $300-400 out of pocket.  While I was working this was no issue but since we don't have much to spare after meds and other things I couldn't justify it.   

So this time I wanted to check where things are and also I wanted to see if she thinks I could benefit from Armour.   I went ahead and did a bunch of blood tests that looked at the thyroid, metabolic, vitamin and other things. 

So as expected, my B12 is low since I had stopped taking it a while back.   Iron is low for the same reason.  What surprised me is that my Free T4 came up low which hasn't happened before.  So even before I mention it she suggested I add T4 to my morning pill party.   So I asked her if I can try Armor instead and we shall see how I do.  I am really hopeful that this will help me with the anxiety and foggy brain.   We shall see. 

My vitamin D level is at 23 ng/mL people.  All summer I had made a point sitting out on our deck and getting some sun.  I also stopped the vitamin D3 supplement months ago and just restarted taking it in the winter.  When I was on all these supplements I felt that my digestive system was not handling it well. I just felt overloaded. This was back early this year and I decided to stop all of the supplements and I felt a lot better.   Looking at my last lab that was done a year ago it looks a lot better as far as B12, ferritin and free T4 levels; but I remember feeling so awful day in and day out.  Now my labs look worse I actually feel better than a year ago.   The only supplement I have been talking the last 6 months is prenatal. 

So I am suppose to add the following  to my already long list of meds.  

Selenium
B12
Armour

I am suppose to go back to her in 3 months if I feel ok on Armour just to recheck the levels.   Until I stabilize free T4 levels I will have to commit to the 3 months schedule. 

The blood test for cortisol also came high.   This is fasting level before taking my meds.  I don't know if I should go ahead and do the saliva test again to make sure levels are OK.  The last time I tested saliva cortisol was low but within range.  



3 comments:

  1. Oh I hate all this. lol. Is the saliva test that you take... is it several times in the day or just once? I know my cortisol gets somewhat close to normal at least once a day, but if I take it every few hours throughout the day then it's crazy abnormal for most of them... because cortisol is supposed to fluctuate throughout the day based on your sleep schedule and such. Just making sure that if you do a big test, that it's at least worth it for you. :)

    I hope the armour works for you! I don't do armour, but I do straight dessicated thyroid from a compounding pharmacy... they actually use the thyroid glands from little piggies. oink oink. :) But it has changed my life in the best way possible! I'll never go back to t3 only meds. NEVER. I hope armour has the same type of effect for you.

    I hate having to go to alternative medicine doctors. I wish there were some doctors, who actually accept insurance!!!, who would listen and help and do some of these things. I've spent more money on my health than I ever thought possible... but it's been worth it when I get results. But frustrating and slow, and when it doesn't work and the money is all out of pocket... ouch. Also, just a question... have you been tested for the hashimoto's antibodies? If your low thyroid is because of an autoimmune disease, then there is so much more you can do to help yourself. I mean, it makes life a lot more difficult too, but knowing what it is you're fighting helps you know what to do about it. :) Good luck! I hope things even out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The saliva test is four times a day. I had it done back in May 2012. The blood test showed high cortisol (morning test) and is not very reliable. May be after a few months on desiccated thyroid med I will have to do the saliva test. I didn't think you were on T3 only meds before, did u change because of a low T4 level? I am hoping it will be the answer for me.

      Yes I have been tested for Hash before and it came up negative. The money hurts but it has to be done. I suspect the endometriosis have something with my thyroid issue.
      Thanks for the feedback. It means a lot to talk to someone who understand.

      Delete
    2. Actually my T3 meds were making blood tests look perfect, but it wasn't helping my symptoms at all. To me it was like taking a sugar pill. I had to change doctors to get someone willing to give me desiccated with my blood tests looking so "good." I finally found a doctor who would do it, and within a week or two it was like a weight started lifting. It was amazing! I will never go back. I mean, I'm clearly not "normal" or even "healthy" ... actually pretty far from it... but I am so much better on it. It was pretty life changing for me. I hope it is the same for you!!!

      I'm glad you're doing the saliva 4 times a day. I've heard where they only do once and it's pretty much crap. lol. I hope it gives you some answers and a place to start. My adrenals are almost as bad as my thyroid is. And both of them are totally linked to my pcos... so I'd imagine it would be similar for endo. I'm so glad I have you to talk to. :)

      Delete