fall

fall

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Progestrone Over Dose-Help Please

So since week 4 of pregnancy I have been doing progesterone shots and also vaginal capsules. Dr. S.tegman was out of the office at the time and I was assigned to a different Dr. From the instructions of my injections I thought I was suppose to be on both the progesterone capsules and also the inject twice a week.

A couple of days ago I realized that I didn't have a refill for the capsules so the pharmacist said she will call the Dr. office for a refill which two days later I get "the Dr. is not responding to our calls".

Today the nurse from Drs office called me to tell me the progesterone numbers from the recent test. It is at 21.1 ng/mL still in Zone 1 and I was told to continue with the injection. So I proceed to tell her that I needed a refill for the capsules and if she can go ahead and call the pharmacy. She was like "honey you are not suppose to be on the capsules only the injections". So for the last eight weeks I have been sticking 400 mgs of progesterone up you know where and I shouldn't have been. So if I am on so much of this stuff why are my numbers still low? What is the side effect of being on so much of this stuff, I am all worried on how this may affect the baby.

Any one reading has been on high dose of Progestrone? I was doing 400 mgs of capsule and 200 mg of injection twice a week.

5 comments:

  1. I was told u can not od on progesterone. Odd the nurse would tell you that..... I was on 2 shots twice a week as well as prometrium....dr said u can't of on p4.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - my name is Andrea Starosciak and I a patient of Dr. Hilgers. Through 2 surgeries with him, we conceived and had a daughter born Sept 2010. From early on in the pregnancy (probably starting weeks 6-8), I was on the max dosage of injections AND Dr. Hilgers prescribed me to do the vag capsules. The vag capsules caused me to bleed so I was then put on the oral capsules (Prometrium) 100 mg twice a day for the first and early second trimester, then up to 300 mg a day for the late second and entire third trimester until week 37. I don't think there are any side effects to overdoing the progesterone. The placenta is suppose to start taking over prometrium production from the corpus luteum at week 12, so if you think about it, if there is anytime you could have gained extra benefit from progesterone, it is probably during your first trimester.
    I don't know if this makes you feel better - hopefully it does. If you have any questions, please email me at andreastarosciak@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I have no idea. Hope you find some good answers. From the other comments, it looks encouraging! Hope it's all good. But still have a good talk with your doctor about clear instructions and accurate information!!! Sheesh! This is too important for them to mess this crap up! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I've heard that higher progesterone levels lead to higher IQ's. I've heard that progesterone isn't harmful at higher levels, but hopefully your doctor can put your mind at rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You guys this makes me feel so much better. I will be following up with my Dr. next week. Fingers crossed my 12wk OB ultrasound apt is next week so looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete