fall

fall

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A glimpse from my past


I was in my last year of high school when I met him.   I had little in common with my peers from high school since I just moved to the country a few years back.   So I made friends with people outside my school, mostly immigrants like myself.  He was a friend of my friends boyfriend.  He was a first year art student in college.  He was corky and had a beautiful smile but was short and not particularly attractive but I liked corky and the artsy type. 

The boy and I hit it off and started spending time together.    I had taken a swimming class in my school and by the end of the final class I was the only one who haven't learned to swim.  I was still hanging on to the floating device for my life.   The boy said he liked swimming and so I figured this would be my opportunity to learn.   So he said he will be happy to teach me so on a  Saturday we planned to meet at a swim center closer to his neighborhood.  

I probably told my parents I was going to study at a friends house :).

I remember it was a sunny day, I took the tube to the city and I waited outside of the swim center for him.  Once he got there we exchanged kisses and entered the center.   I remember him going to the desk to pay for our tickets and him handing me a ticket and I was off to the ladies changing room.  

I had a pink and black swimming costume which showed off my slim figure, I barely weighted 95 lb at the time.   I liked my body but hated my ankles.  I have the skinniest ankles ever (To this day I only wear long dresses/skirts)    I slowly walked out to the swimming pool and looked around and he was not there.  I remember thinking may be he went to the toilet and waited.   A minute, 5 min, 10 min passed by and the boy was no where to be found.  After waiting for about 20 min I went back to the dressing room, got dressed and went to the front desk. 

Have you seen a short guy with curly hair, the guy that came in with me?

Casher: Oh, he was kicked out for entering the swimming pool without paying

I was so humiliated and so angry.  I thanked the lady and quickly walked out.  Apparently he only paid for my ticket. I figured he would be waiting outside the swimming pool but I am sure they wanted him to disappear from the area.  I remember I was so angry and hurt by what he did.  Why wouldn't he just say he didn't have money to pay for my ticket.   I walked back to the tube and called a friend who lived in the city.  I needed to talk to somebody, so I went to her house and spent the afternoon there.

When I got home the friend that introduced us called me and said he called her and told her what happened.  He tried to call me a few times but I was so angry that I didn't want to talk to him.

After a few weeks my friend arranged for us to see each other.  He apologized and we got back together.    After a few months I moved to the States and we lost touch.

I wonder where he is, and what he is doing now 20 something years later? 

And yes I still don't know how to swim :(

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Wow, what a first date! :) I wonder where he is now... If you were closer, I would teach you to swim. I was on swim team for years and years. I almost feel like I'm part fish. :)

    ReplyDelete