fall

fall

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Space

The first few weeks after moving to our new place I was in pain. In pain due to the physical work involved with moving but also due to the fact we now have stairs which my legs were not used to climbing on regular bases. Although I like our new house at the I missed the simplicity of our beloved apartment.

DH and I lived together before getting married.  Not a smart move but that is another post.

The first place I called my own besides college housing was shared with my sister. It was a big apartment; we both had our own bedrooms. When my sister wanted to move out (I was dating DH at the time) we decided to move in together. He was in school at the time and I also wanted to save money so we moved into an efficiency. I know, we were crazy. The place was small and there was nowhere to hide when we fought :). We had a mattress, computer table and a chair. On weekends we went out to a local cafe that had nice tables and sofas and that was our living room. We spent many hours there doing school work and reading.

We moved in to a one bedroom apartment after a year. I thought we had so much space, we had a dining room, living room and a little kitchen. I loved the space, it was big enough for the two of us. After we got married we moved to another apartment closer to my job and it was a two bedroom and much bigger. I loved it, and I dreamt of having a baby at this place. We told ourselves this would be the last place we will rent. Then came tinny MH. She didn't take up much space but her stuffy took over the apartment :).  

A week after we moved to our new house we went to clean the apartment before handing the key and it fealt so small :). I am sure our new place will look small in a few years but for now it is big for me in some senses. See we only had a love seat in front of the TV in our apt and both DH and I sat there ever night. I just miss the small, cozy personal space we had. 








2 comments:

  1. Hello Rachel! I am new to your blog...I found it on Sew's. I hear you on missing apartments...there was this one place we had that I really miss...even though it would be way to small for us now.

    Our oldest child was born in E.thio.pia. She was 3 when we brought her home (she is almost 8 now!). I was wondering if you would email me: lowlyhandmaid @ gmail . com I have some questions about her birth country, if you wouldn't mind talking with me about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I'm so behind. We've had 3 runs of the stomach flu here, and I've kinda dropped out of the world. LOL. Anyway, I understand missing cozy, and feeling nostalgia... but I love space! When things are small, I sometimes feel like I can't breathe. Ugh. But I think that's because I was raised out in the country... cities and apartments make me suffocate. But I do hope that you feel at home in your new home soon, and that the stairs don't bother you too much.

    ReplyDelete