fall

fall

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Quick Takes

1. I feel like I am at a cross road when it comes to my career. I work in research and most people in my department who have the same job title have a PhD. I knew this day was coming, at some point the upward movement stops if you don't have a higher degree. I only have a Masters and that is not good enough. For the last so many years I was just surviving at my job due to health issues and infertility. Don't get me wrong, I work hard but not hard enough, i.e. weekends and nights. I do the occasional weekends but I am just not healthy enough to be putting 12 hour days so I put in 8-9 hours. I am dead tired when I get home and no job is important enough for me to log back on and work a few more hours. The bottom line is I like being in research but the time has come for me to step out of it. So I am in the planning mode, looking at my options within the same company as well as outside. If I get a new job TTC for a second kid will have to be delayed by at least a year. I am no spring chicken so if we want a second child we have to start in the next six month. I am also torn, I like to work but I also would like to spend more time with my child. It would be ideal if I can work part-time but that will be difficult unless I go in to something different and take a pay cut.
2. Overall the last couple of weeks I have been stressed due to the above. DH keeps reminding me that I am lucky to have a job and to have choices. My hormones are OK, much better than before the progesterone but not a 100% yet. The normal stress of being a working mother stresses me out more than usually. Physically I am not strong. I haven’t exercised in so long. My diet could be better, even though I am still on a gluten free diet I have picked up sugar, tea and coffee and my stomach is paying for it. I am bloated often and my gut is not as health as it could be.

3. We are still looking to buy a house but I am not sure because of my job situation. My issue is I am way too carefully. With both of our incomes we can more than afford to buy and still have enough to save for long term needs. We are debt free except for car payments. But I always think of the worst and I am terrified that in case one of us loses our jobs we will be stuck with a house we can't afford. I just have to be bold and go for it.

4. My laptop is on its way out. I have one of those that overheat and the fan is going constantly. It freezes randomly and generally slowing down. It’s taking me forever to write this post. May be it is time to invest in another. So before I break this computer from frustration I am going to stop my quick takes at 4. Hope everyone is doing well.

4 comments:

  1. Are you sure your hormones are "okay"? :) I can smell wonky hormones....

    xxoo Don't smack me!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl. So much to deal with, and with a newborn! *hugs* I'm so sorry. But I'm with Sew, I'm smelling hormones... maybe adrenals? I know when I add sugar I have an adrenal response, and eventually start wearin down that way... plus needing the stimulants like coffee and sugar, totally points toward adrenals. I don't know, just my thoughts.

    I'm totally like you, I am very cautious about big purchases. I think it's good to look at the big picture, because you never do know what's going to happen. So I'd compromise. Find a house that you could afford on 1 1/2 salaries. That way, you can buy it, be saving even more for a rainy day, and if you want to upgrade later you can... or if something happens, then you'll still be okay.

    And I'm sorry, all I'm doing is giving advice. I'm in problem solving mode. LOL. I'm sure that YOU will know what to do. Pray and God will direct you. He will be the Lamp unto your feet... even if it's only one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for a chemical company and we are moving in the same direction with our R&D department. For me its VERY frustrating because there are many people with "only" bachelors and masters that would be more than qualified to do the job. I think they just like the thought of having all PhD chemist and scientist. Job stress is the worst!

    I hope it works out and everything else falls into place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Sew. You guy are right on the money. When I say my hormones are ok its all relative to where I was before. I was at my best during my pregnancy but now about 50% of that. I am at least not at I can't get out of bed or want to jump off a cliff stage. But ther is so much for improvement.

    Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete