fall

fall

Friday, June 7, 2013

Physical exercise with chronic pain

I am really bad at blogging.  I have no excuse.  I have a lot of time on my hands where I am usually either reading blogs or watching TV.   I have so many things I want to write about mainly my struggle with endometriosis but those posts are not fun.  

During 55 day lent I gave up meat and I also made a point to exercise.    My first cycle on lent I had no menstrual pain prior to my period, non what so ever.   I was thinking the meatless diet had something to do with it but that is just one menstrual cycle.  The next cycle was also less pain.  In addition to lessening of my pain hormonally I was a lot more stable.   I think going with out meat had an effect.  

So for exercise I started off with light stretching and light cardio.    I know any strenuous exercise makes my pain worse but I thought I give it another try.  I incorporated yoga to balance out the stress on my body.     Starting off it wasn't too bad and I got excited and added Z.um.ba.   After two weeks of exercise I was seeing that my moods were a lot better and I walk up and did not always feel the dread that I usually do.   I exercised in the evenings for at least 1h.    But as each day passed that I noticed I walk up in pain, much more pain than usual and would spend the day recuperating.   I cut down the cardio and made it every other day but it was still too much.  After 6 wks of exercise I stopped.   I was in a lot more pain after a session and just couldn't bring myself to go back to it. 

I actually looked forward to exercising and I was disciplined.  I at least did 4-5 sessions a week so the commitment was there.    So I am going to drop the cardio and only do stretching and light walking.   I will also give up red meat and see if the effect I saw during lent is real.  

My pain seems to be increasing recently, it is an up and down battle.  Lately I am waking up in the morning with increased pain on my right hip and thighs that radiates to my legs.   I have lower back pain all that time and the intensity goes up and down depending on how much I do physically and where I am on my cycle.   With increased pain comes the migraine headaches and overall tense muscles.

I am also beginning to look in to the personal care products I use.  I don't really have a lot of products I use besides the basics.  I don't wear makeup except for eye liners and lipsticks.  I have one bottle of perfume that was a wedding gift.  Yep 5 years later I still have the same perfume.    I also don't use deodorants much specially in the winter since I send most of my time at home.   So I want to start slow and replace these products with safer ones.   We don't really buy a lot of house hold cleaners either.  I clean most things in the kitchen with dish detergents and bathrooms with shampoo.  The only household cleaners we buy are cloth and dish detergent and dish washer detergent. 

My niece is graduating from middle school and we are attending this evening so day 1 of my exercise regime will start tomorrow.  Wish me luck. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to see a chiropractor. That radiating pain sounds like something is out of whack with your musculoskeletal system. Hope you get things figured out and start feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to hate me but those with adrenal issues really can't exercise. I did read strength training was about all--light walking. Do you have a recent thyroid panel. The pain is a symptom. I used to have that same pain.....I felt 80.

    Never underestimate the power of hormones! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I can so relate to this. I hate having adrenal and thyroid issues and feeling like I "should" be able to do things... exercise, lose weight, keep the house clean, etc. I feel so awful that I can't do those things the way I want to, the way my family needs me to. And you're right, pushing it too hard will backfire and make you worse. It's such a difficult balance. Take it easy and let yourself heal a bit before you try on anything else. Good luck! I hope you can figure things out.

    ReplyDelete